Sunday 25 November 2018

Let the cull...begin!

Like most things in life, you need to make decisions to make sense of things. For me, its deciding what to keep and what to let go from the monitor haul. The 3 sets that made the cut is the 2 x 20" Ikegami monitors and also the composite only Panasonic.


The first monitor on the test bench (or floor in this case) is one of the Ikegami. It has controller modules similar to the BVM. So I was expecting some knock out picyure quality.
 



 The picture quality is pretty clean and vibrant, which made me wonder whether the monitor was used at all?? I further tuned the pictures on this set and now its on par with , dare I say, the BVM.


Next I tuned the other Ikegami with the MVS cross hatch. All the control on this unit is on the chassis itself, so I had to open it up and adjust it. The points for adjustment was well labeled so I had no trouble getting it to look mint. The colour is probably about 5-8% less vibrant than the BVM but certainly better than the DSE and older PVM monitor I have of the equivalent size.

Finally, I moved on the Panasonic...what can I say about composite that everyone else has already experienced. It is a competent PAL monitor as the NTSC variant it accepts is the rare M one. So the only practical use for it is for PAL sources. I really dig the 80's look and the headphone jack with the pop in pop out dial for volume and that is about it. A solid monitor for PAL gamers sitting at least 2M away from the display.








2 comments:

  1. Could you tell me what the exact model of that Ikegami is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try when I enter the gameroom next time, its all stacked so pretty hard to look at the back of the monitors.

    ReplyDelete